Sunday, August 13, 2006


this came from my scrapbooking pages
MONDAY MEMORIES


Back in the 1950 one of the popular things then was to be in an accordion band!! No, I was not a nerd, by any stretch of the imagination. It was just something that was in then!! I started taking accordion lessons when I was about 8 years old. I remember having a little tiny red one with just a few buttons on the cleft side and a few keys on the treble side.
I thought I would never learn to play the right side, the left side and pull those bellows all at the same time, but I DID!! What an accompolishment for a little girl. Plus that thing was pretty heavy too!!!
The one in the picture is a standard size one. My mother used to bring it to school for me so that I could play it for my class. Boy I must have thought I was HOT STUFF back then. I would play "Lady of Spain", "Peg of My heart", "The Glow Worm" and of course music from Lawrence Welk (later on that is)!! Probably half of you reading this are saying, "Hm, I have never heard of any of those song titles!" Well, it is because they are very old!! Let's face it...I AM OLD!!
Anyway, back to the accordion....You no longer see them and I am afraid they are associated with Nerds and polka music now!! It was fun to play and I took lessons for what seemed years and years and years!! I finally got into music that was so hard that I just could not seem to learn it anymore and well, you guessed it, I became a teenager, got frustrated and quit!!
I finally gave my accordion to a person that was going to be a missionary in Africa someplace. I don't know what happened to it, but I hoped it helped bring JOY and PEACE by playing some good hymns for some grateful people!!
I just thought you might like to see your "old" blogging friend as a little girl just a "few" years ago!! *smile*

Flip Flop Floozie

8 comments:

Lazy Daisy said...

My sister used to play the accordian. She was so small that all you could see was her head, hands and legs! I never knew you were musical! Love the picture too!

Ladybug Crossing said...

You are so talented!! I used to watch Lawrence Welk with my parents and grandparents! My Gram loved that show so much!!
Have a good day! My mm is up.
LBC

Melli said...

LOL! I would have never guessed! I used to watch Lawrence Welk with my Dad... and learned to appreciate those old old songs! Learned to appreciate old old men too! LOL! I think it's neat that you could play all that stuff. Do you think it's like riding a bike? If you picked up an accordian today could you still play? I bet ya could!

Pear tree cottage! said...

Flip flop hello!

well I think your photos is just great and a true walk down memory lane for me as I used to sit and lisen to a neighbour who could play that thing like an angle. I wonder were she is now!

I love your face and your look of enjoyment as your accordian does exactly what you want it too.

Your family must have been proud as punch! with your skills.

your blog as always is a delight to me when I visit thanks.

Susan said...

I also watched Lawrence Welk with my family and LOVED IT!! I think it's neat that you learned this instrument at such a young age...and that it was offered to you at all.

Great memory...I actually put one up today, too!!

Have a GREAT WEEK!

:-) Susan

By the way: YOU'RE NOT OLD!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I have an ex-uncle who plays the accordian in a mexican band called "Texas." LOL.

Anonymous said...

Loved your memories of the accordion and do you remember you taught me to play it some. I was not as good as you were, but I loved it too. My only accomplishment was the piano and the organ. I remember one day your teacher had me play for her, so I more or less got one lesson while you were learning. Love your blogs, keep them going and you are not old. I am old 82, now that is old or getting old at least. Love Mother

Lynn said...

I tried to comment earlier but something must have been up at blogger.....I kept getting a blue screen! Oh, well...so while I waited I read your post from yesterday and then when I came back I read your post above...so I decided to leave my comment in the middle;-)

On your previous post I believe that God knew what was in your friend's heart, just as He knows our hearts. It's hard not to know...just continue to trust Him.

It's great that you could learn to play the accordian....it looks like it might be fun....something my DD2 would probably enjoy;-) I remember watching Lawrence Welk at my (and Susan's) grandparents house, so I know all of those songs.

Looks like you've had a busy day today. Hope the dinner went well!