Thursday, September 04, 2008

Thursday Thanks and Thoughts









What a nice day outside...just the calm before the storm i would say!! We are very very thankful!! It looks like Miss Hanna the hurricane is going away from us and will only dump some much needed rain on us!! Now if she is kind with those wind gusts then i will be a happy camper!! People in our city have been wondering and wondering what she was finally going decide to do..Course she may yet change her mind...Only Hanna knows...Then of course we have IKE right behind her..Ya reckon Tina is chasing him?? smile...Nope it is Josephine and then Kyle!! Bunches this year...

As you know, if you read my blog at all, I never comment or say much about politics on here. I think that is everyone's personal right...but we should all VOTE!! I do want to say one thing though...(Breaking a rule)!! Last night I watched Sarah Palin and was very much impressed by her speech and the way she just stood up there talking like she was just so comfortable!! Both my hubby and I thought it was great and even though we are only TWO votes in the big scheme of things we have our minds made up!! McCain did a great thing when he brought her on!! I am going to vote. If this all goes wrong in months to come. I have just commented and I also will have voted!! My right!! I feel if you vote then complaining is fine!! If you don't then, well you have lost your right as a citizen of our great country!!


Dora Lewis

I received a great email this morning about what our fore runner women went through just giving us the right to vote. They were put in jail and tortured. Several women were involved in this fight among them were Lucy Burns, Dora Lewis, and Alice Paul.






The "Night of Terror" began on November 15, 1917!! These suffragists were thrown in jail and given only water from an open pail. The slop that they were fed was infested with worms. The guards in the jail beat Lucy Burns, chained her hands to the cell bar above her head and left her hanging there all night. She was bleeding!!

Alice Paul went on a hunger strike in protest!! The guards tied her to a chair, forced liquid down her throat until she vomitted!! They did this to her for several weeks.

President Woodrow Wilson tried to get a doctor to proclaim Alice Paul as crazy so he of course could just get rid of her. The doctor refused to do it!! The doctor told the men and the president that, "Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity!"

That was then and this is NOW!! Just think what those people would think now with a women running in a VICE PRESIDENTIAL spot!! MY!! We have came a long way ladies!!

This is an exciting year for our country! We are watching history being made!! Have you ever thought about that...We will be in the history books...(If there are still books one day)!! We are watching the FIRST African American man and the FIRST women that may be our president or our vice president of our great country!! WOW!! What a time we live in!

FLIP FLOP

Thought for the day: "Sure God created man before woman. But then you always make a rough draft before the final masterpiece. ~Author Unknown



15 comments:

Julie said...

raining lots here today. They said it is from Gustav. Hope it quites we have to set up Farmtastic for next week.

Traveling Bells said...

I hate politics, but agree that Sarah did a mighty fine job last night. Dick and I know how we are voting!!!

Anonymous said...

I live in Canada and I am impressed with Sarah, how she conducted herself last night.
Men have only one hat to wear but women have so many more, it would scare men to wear all our hats!
Diane

Aggiema (Michelle) said...

Loved the card you sent to Melli, got a huge chuckle out of that one!

Carole Burant said...

I heard on the news this morning that we'll be getting the remnants of Gustav here in Northern Ontario starting overnight and we're supposed to get up to 2 inches of rain as well as strong winds. I'm not sure if Hannah will reach this far but I'm just thankful the true fury of those hurricanes have abated before they reach here!! I'll keep praying that Hannah doesn't affect you at all!

Isn't it terrible what women had to do to fight for women's rights...one can't even imagine what it was like!! Here in Canada we've just been told that there will be a Federal election on October 14th for Prime Minister...ugh, I so hate the campaigns and such. I do vote but I don't trust any politician! lol xoxo

Melli said...

History WILL be made with this election - and I think voter turnout at the polls is going to be VERRRRRY high this time!!! I know ALL FOUR of my children have stated they are voting! Of course, Hubby & I never miss a chance to cast our opinion! But this is definitely a BIG ONE! It's going to be very interesting to see how it goes!

Lazy Daisy said...

Hey babe, Loved your post and email about women voting. Nice to be reminded. We may be getting storms, flooding and tornadoes from Hannah, and Ike. Gotcha all prayed up. Miss you so much.

Mary said...

Sandy,

I saw part of Paulin's speech and also like her. No matter which way it goes, the US is going to make history with this election. We are making progress. As a Canadian, I watch the US election closely.

We had a woman Prime Minister in the 80s, but she was not the woman for the job. However, she did make history. She was only in office about 6 months before she received a no confidence vote.

Women have gone through a lot over the years in order to have rights. Yay for those pioneer women.

Blessings for a great weekend.
Mary

Denise said...

Wonderful post my friend.

Gattina said...

As you are still not in my Google reader I forget to come here and say hello ! Fortunately Hanna changed her mind (after all she is a woman and we are supposed to do that, lol)!
McCain is not very appreciated in Europe. Too old fashioned too much similitudes with Bush. Americans abroad don't like him at all and only hope that he won't be elected. Sometimes I talk with a few of them in my fitness club. I only hope you choose the right man (or woman) !

Hootin Anni said...

I'm with you on Palin's speech. She did a good deed for the Republicans. And yes...I VOTE each and every election. It's our given right and Americans.

Stopped by to see if you had another Friday Show n Tell, but maybe I'm too early?

Thank goodness that the hurricanes are not headed your way. At least the full force of the eye of the storm!!!

Maggie Ann said...

McCain and Sarah Palin get our votes for sure and certain! I was appalled to read about the suffragists and their inhumane treatment. Tell me it was'nt so!!! Thats horrible. I'm pleased to be voting for a woman like Sarah, who has gumption, smarts and compassion to be a wise Mother and wife. (Notice I accidentally capatolized Mother but not wife???grin) Two grown daughters would be like the younger child and the baby having extra sets of Moms...well, you know what I mean. Did you see her little girl lick the palm of her hand and smooth the baby's hair back? It was adorable.

nancy said...

AMEN! I did a post on my blog about this same topic today. It's at http://www.morthanenough.wordpress.com if you'd like to see it. I don't usually get political either, but I think I'm becoming more outspoken about things, and I think that's OK.
The painting in the above post -- wow. My first thought was of the young woman who "used to be" as still a part of the mature woman who still feels her youthful presence in her life.
Nancy

snowroses said...

Thanks for sharing about the women fighting for the right to vote. I didn't know this story.

Linda said...

Sarah Palin blew me out of the water. How refreshing it would be for her to be in Washington working for us. She has my vote!!

I'm still trying to catch up with older posts on blogs I read. Being off line last week put me behind.