Thursday, July 27, 2006


As posted by flip flop floozie!!!
THIRTEEN FACTS ABOUT THE
NUMBER 13

  • There were 13 original founding colonies in the US. They were: North and South Carolina, Maryland, Virginia, Georgia, New York, Delaware, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Massachusetts.
  • The American flag has 13 stripes.
  • The Great Seal of the United States has:

    * 13 levels of the truncated pyramid,
    * 13 letters in "E Pluribus Unum", which appears in the banner running through the eagle's beak on the right side of the bill's reverse.
    * 13 letters in the phrase "Annuit Coeptis", which appears over the pyramid on the left side of the bill's reverse.
    * 13 stars above the Eagle,
    * 13 leaves on the olive branch,
    * 13 olives on the olive branch,
    * 13 arrows held by the Eagle, and
    * 13 bars on the shield.
  • The original American flag also had 13 stars.
  • 13 people sat down to eat at the Last Supper. Number 13 was Judas Iscariot.
  • The Apollo 13 moon mission had technical problems and never landed on the moon.
  • Many skyscrapers do not have a 13th floor. They go from 12 to 14.
  • NBA star Wilt Chamberlin wore number 13.
  • Dan Marino, quarterback for the Miami Dolphins wore number 13.
  • If you are in a bakery and order a baker?s dozen of something, you will get 13, not 12.
  • The number of cards in a single suit of a standard deck of playing cards
  • Many people, as you can see, are superstitious about the number 13. Did you know that there are people who consider it a lucky number?
  • Many people, as you can see, are superstitious about the number 13. Did you know that there are people who consider it a lucky number?

    A small minority of left handers consider 13 to be their "lucky" number. This is possibly derived from "unlucky" being an antonym for "lucky". Since many left handers are taught to do the opposite when learning new skills from a right handed instructor, they consider 13 to be their "lucky" number as it is the opposite of 13 being the "unlucky" number.





8 comments:

Lazy Daisy said...

My, my what a busy little floozie you have been. Great fun facts girlfriend. I sure miss you babe!

Greg and Christie said...

Wow! You sure are a plethora of information! Great TT...by the way, I'm left handed!
I took this week of TT off, needed a "me" day.

C ~

Warm Fuzzies said...

What a great idea for a TT! Have a great day!

Jane said...

Those are very interesting facts. Some I knew, some I didn't!
BTW, I am not going on a cruise, I just WISH I was going on a cruise!!!
Thanks for stopping by for a visit, come on back anytime!

Susan said...

Sandy, You are SO full of FACTS! I love it...didn't know about the seal of the USA...interesting.

I'm late, but my TT is up here. Have a GREAT day!!

YellowRose said...

I enjoyed the 13 facts on 13!!! Very informative!!! Mine is up! I'm alittle late today stopping by...sorry! ;)

Charlene Amsden said...

Wow! Where did you find all this info? Great offering.

[Walking away mutterin to myself: How do people think of this stuff?]

Maggie Ann said...

I never gave it a second thought. No luck for me...but thankfully God is over all. Interesting though.